Ahead of the Assembly Elections in Goa, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) candidates on Wednesday signed a legal affidavit and took an oath to remain loyal to the party. The candidates further pledged that they will work honestly if they are elected in the upcoming polls.
The news: AAP national convenor and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said, “All our candidates have taken oath against corruption and defection, signed a legal affidavit which will be distributed to voters. Goans can use it to sue them in case they breach their trust.”
This is a Legal Guarantee, that we won’t defect like Congress-BJP MLAs! It must’ve been a Guinness World Record that 15 out of 17 MLAs defected to other party, he added.
Kejriwal, who is in Goa for four days ahead of the February 14 elections, said BJP is aiming to come back to power in the state by using the “strategy” of planning to woo Congress legislators after the elections.
What they are saying: “These affidavits will be given to every Goenkar as a measure to build their confidence towards honest politics. There is a bright future, there can be change in Goa,” he added.
- “Our candidates will send photocopies of the signed affidavit to every household in their constituency. By doing this, we’re giving a right to voters to file a case of breach of trust against our candidates if they violate the terms of the affidavit,” Kejriwal said.
- “This Assembly Election is crucial for Goa. Goans must decide what is best for them. One option is to support the AAP, which has promised a corruption-free government. Another option is to support the BJP directly or indirectly. In the last election, Goans were fed up with the BJP government and chose the Congress. But Congress MLAs let them down.”
- “The BJP has planned a new strategy. Once Congress candidates win their seats, they are going to join the BJP,” he added.
- “BJP has fielded their candidates on Congress’ ticket, like in Salcete area so that they can join BJP later. People need to be aware that if they’re not voting for AAP, they’re indirectly voting for BJP,” Kejriwal said.
Politics in Goa has two major issues:
1. Rampant Corruption in Governance.
2. Defection of MLAs to BJP
To solve these issues, we have selected honest & hardworking candidates. All our candidates are going to sign affidavits against corruption & defection Kejriwal said.