Voting for the third phase of UP Assembly elections, in 59 seats, began at 7 am on Sunday, while polling in Punjab started at 8 am.
The news: Among the prominent faces contesting in Punjab are CM Charanjit Singh Channi, Navjot Singh Sidhu, Bhagwant Mann, Amarinder Singh, Parkash Singh Badal and Sukhbir Singh Badal. In UP, Akhilesh Yadav is contesting from Karhal.
- The ruling Congress, AAP, SAD-BSP coalition, BJP-PLC-SAD (Sanyukt) and the Sanyukt Samaj Morcha are all expected to compete in Punjab.
- The fate of 1,304 candidates, including 93 women, will be decided by around 2.14 crore people.
- The voting will end at 6 p.m.
- In the third of the seven-phase elections in UP, a total of 627 candidates are in the fray, in which over 2.15 crore people are eligible to exercise their franchise.
- In UP this phase will see Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav contesting from the Karhal assembly seat in Mainpuri district. The BJP has pitted Union minister S P Singh Baghel from there.
- The districts going to polls in this phase are: Hathras, Firozabad, Etah, Kasganj, Mainpuri, Farrukhabad, Kanpur, Dehat, Kanpur Nagar, Kannauj, Etawah, Auraiya, Lalitpur, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, and Mahoba. Polling here will be held from 7 am till 6 pm.