Coming down heavy on Russia’s attack on Ukraine, US President Joe Biden has issued a warning to other nations if they support Russian leader Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.
The news: President Biden said that such nations will be “stained by association” while describing a “devastating package of sanctions and other economic measures” to cripple the Russian economy.
- Biden said: “This is a premeditated attack. Vladimir Putin has been planning this for months, as I’ve been — as we’ve been saying all along. He moved more than 175,000 troops, military equipment into positions along the Ukrainian border.”
- “Putin is the aggressor… he chose the war… and now he has to face consequences,” Biden said in a White House speech, announcing a raft of sanctions and punitive economic measures after convening a meeting of his national security council and G7 leaders earlier in the day.
- “America stand up to bullies and for freedom. This is who we are,” Biden said.
- He also announced deployment of more US troops which were on standby, to Germany.
What happened: On Thursday, after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine sparked Europe’s worst crisis since World War II, Washington and its western allies increased sanctions and strengthened their defence of the NATO frontline.
- Faced with a nuclear-armed invasion, Biden rallied Nato allies, G7 partners, and domestic opinion to tighten the screws on Putin after Moscow ignored the first round of sanctions and went ahead with the long-awaited invasion of Ukraine, which Russia dubbed “special military action.”
What they’re saying: “No one expected the sanctions to prevent anything from happening. This could take time, and we have to show resolve so he knows what’s coming and so the people of Russia know what he’s brought on them,” Biden said.
- “Whoever tries to impede us, let alone create threats for our country and its people, must know that the Russian response will be immediate and lead to the consequences you have never seen in history,” Putin said in a television address.
- “All relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me,” Putin further said.
- President Biden also accused Putin of choosing a “premeditated war” that he predicted will bring a catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.
- “Russia alone is responsible for the death and destruction this attack will bring, and the United States and its allies and partners will respond in a united and decisive way. The world will hold Russia accountable,” Biden added in a late night address.