Nawab Malik, a Maharashtra minister and NCP leader, is being questioned by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) in connection with a case involving individuals associated with Dawood Ibrahim and the mafia. The minister has been interrogated since 8 a.m.
The news: According to sources, Malik has been summoned to appear before the investigation agency in connection with a case involving underworld kingpin and fugitive terror financier Dawood Ibrahim, his brother Anees, Iqbal, aide Chota Shakeel, and others.
What happened: Raids were carried out last week at a number of places across the city, including the late Haseena Parkar’s home, who was Dawood Ibrahim’s sister.
- Iqbal Kaskar, Dawood’s fugitive brother, was apprehended last week, and the ED questioned Haseena Parkar’s son Alishah Parkar on Monday.
- It was recently revealed that Dawood Ibrahim’s gang was operating in the country, carrying out terror acts in an attempt to destabilise law and order.
- In Mumbai and other cities, Dawood Ibrahim and his aide Chota Shakeel, as well as his brother Anees Ibrahim, conduct hawala operations, betting syndicates, and illegal real estate firms. Extortion is another activity carried out by the gang.
In addition: The Enforcement Directorate (ED) began conducting searches at several sites throughout Mumbai last Tuesday for elements linked to the underworld and Dawood Ibrahim.
- The CIA may also investigate a top politician who has previous ties with members of the Dawood Ibrahim gang.
- The ED raids were in response to the National Investigation Agency’s (NIA) recent filing of a case against Dawood Ibrahim, which prompted the ED to file an ECIR and begin an investigation.
- After establishing that Dawood had been spreading terror across India, the NIA filed a case against him under the UAPA. According to NIA officials, Ibrahim funnelled money through hawala methods to fund those working for him to foment unrest across India.
- The FBI is looking into Nawab Malik’s dealings with Dawood Ibrahim’s aide Sardar Shahvali Khan and Haseena Parkar’s bodyguard Salim Patel.
According to opposition leader Devendra Fadnavis, Malik bought the property worth crores from Khan and Patel for about Rs 30 lakhs. Officials from the ED are also investigating Malik and his associates’ other business operations. According to sources, the CIA has major evidence against Malik and could take action against him.