The news: In a last minute effort, all political parties held intense election campaigns on Monday in Uttar Pradesh.
- The voting began at 7 a.m. and will be held till 6 p.m. As per the Election Commission information 22.62 per cent voting was recorded till 11 a.m. on Wednesday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged voters to contribute to strengthening democracy.
- Voting for the remaining three phases of the seven-phase UP elections will take place on February 27, March 3, and 7. The counting of votes will take place on March 10.
- Union Minister of State for Home, Ajay Mishra Teni, whose son Ashish was arrested in connection with the violence in October last year which killed eight people, including four farmers, casted his vote in Banbirpur of Lakhimpur Kheri.
- According to data shared by the Election Commission, a turnout of 22.62 per cent was recorded by 11 a.m.
- The highest average turnout was recorded at 27.44 per cent in Pilibhit, followed by 26.28 per cent in (Lakhimpur) Kheri.