The fourth flight of the Indian Air Force C-17 from Bucharest landed at the Hindan Air Base at Ghaziabad at 8:15 a.m. on Thursday.
The news: The flight which is a part of India’s massive airlift effort named Operation Ganga brought back 180 passengers, mostly students.
- According to the official update till now, the IAF has brought back a total of 798 passengers from Hungary, Poland and Romania.
- Union Minister of State for Defence & Tourism, Ajay Bhatt, was present at the tarmac to welcome the passengers who were evacuated from Ukraine to neighbouring countries.
- On Thursday the IAF is operating 3 more flights to various locations in the neighborhood of Ukraine towards the effort.
- Earlier on Wednesday, the Indian embassy in Ukraine issued an advisory for Indian Nationals in Kharkiv to leave the city immediately for their safety and security and were advised to proceed to Pesochin, Babaye and Bezlyudovka as soon as possible and under all circumstances reach these settlements by 1800 hrs (Ukrainian time) on Wednesday.
- The IAF C-17 heavy lift transport aircraft have been extensively used for evacuation of stranded citizens of India in the recent past, most notably from Afghanistan.
- These airplanes have also been utilised to transport oxygen containers in large quantities during the COVID-19 outbreak last year.