The news: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Saturday informed that the seven Indian sailors on board a United Arab Emirates-flagged cargo vessel seized by the Houthis off the port of Hodeidah in Yemen are in good health. The government is in contact with multiple sources to reinforce its message to the Houthis that they be released as soon as possible, MEA added.
What they said: In response to a question during an online media briefing, MEA Spokesperson Arindam Bagchi stated that according to information received from the shipping company based in the UAE as well as other sources, the seven Indian sailors are safe, in good health, and are receiving regular meals.
- Their captors, however, have not allowed them to communicate with their families, he claims.
- The Indian government is in contact with multiple sources, including the UN mission to support the Hodeidah Agreement, to inquire about the sailors’ safety and well-being, as well as to reinforce its message to the Houthis that they be released as soon as possible, according to Bagchi.
- Bagchi stated that External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar condemned the terror attack in Abu Dhabi earlier this month in the strongest terms in a phone conversation with his UAE counterpart.
Following that, the UN Security Council, of which India is a member, condemned the heinous terror attack on January 17 in the strongest terms possible, he said. “We are keeping a close eye on developments,” Bagchi added.