The Kerala High Court granted actor Dileep and others anticipatory bail in the latest case against them, saying that they planned to eliminate officers investigating a sexual assault on an actress in 2017.
The news: The actor was given relief by Justice Gopinath P, who stated that the police’s suspicions of non-cooperation and influencing witnesses can be addressed by imposing restrictions, which, if breached, can lead to a petition for arresting the accused despite the grant of anticipatory bail.
- The police had argued in court that Dileep and the others were not complying with the investigation in the latest FIR filed against them, while the actor had denied the claims, stating that the case was “manufactured” and “manipulated”.
- During arguments, the police’s Director General of Prosecution T A Shaji and supplementary public prosecutor P Narayanan told the court that the nature and gravity of the accusations against them, as well as their conduct thus far, disentitles them to any respite.
In addition: On the other hand, the actor and the other accused, including his brother and brother-in-law, claimed that they answered all of the police’s questions during their 33-hour interrogation, which was spread out over three days and 11 hours each, and that they had only refused to give a confession, which was interpreted as non-cooperation.
- The new case was filed on January 9 after an investigating officer received a complaint based on a claimed audio recording of Dileep, which was telecast by a TV channel, in which the actor was purportedly heard scheming to harm the official.
- Sections 116 (abetment), 118 (concealing design to commit offence), 120B (criminal conspiracy), 506 (criminal intimidation), and 34 of the Indian Penal Code were used to charge the actor and five others (criminal act done by several people).
- On the night of February 17, 2017, the actress-victim, who has acted in Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam films, was abducted and allegedly abused in her car for two hours by some people who forced their way into the vehicle and then escaped in a crowded place. Those who wanted to blackmail the actress filmed the entire act.
There are 10 accused in the 2017 case and police have arrested seven. Dileep was arrested subsequently and released on bail.