The mortal remains of legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar was consigned to flames with full state honours on Sunday evening at 7:16 pm at Mumbai’s iconic Shivaji Park this evening.
The news: Mangeshkar’s nephew Aadinath Mangeshkar performed the final rites. He is son of her brother Hridaynath.
- The national tricolour in which was body was draped and handed over to her nephew Aadinath Mangeshkar by the defence personnel.
- Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar died on Sunday at the age of 92 years.
- The singer was cremated with full state honours in Mumbai’s Shivaji park on Sunday. Prime Minister Narendra Modi attended her funeral at Mumbai’s Shivaji Park and paid tributes to the singer.
- The megastar had been admitted to Mumbai’s Breach Candy hospital on January 8 after she was diagnosed with Covid-19 and pneumonia. Though having recovered from Covid the singer was put on ventilator support after her condition worsened on Saturday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Thackeray family, Shahrukh Khan, Amir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Shraddha Kapoor among many other celebrities and politicians paid last respect to the legendary singer.
The backstory: Lata was born into a showbiz household. Her father was a theatre director, and her sisters, Asha Bhonsle and Usha Mangeshkar, are both well-known vocalists. In 1942, she began her singing career at the age of thirteen.
In 1942, she recorded her first song, “Naachu Yaa Gade, Khelu Saari Mani Haus Bhaari,” for a Marathi film. Unfortunately, the song was omitted from the final cut of the film.
The artist recorded music in more than 30 languages, the majority of which were Hindi and Marathi. She has sung over 5,000 songs in over a thousand Bollywood and regional language films over her career.