Some miscreants opened fire on the convoy of AIMIM leader Asaduddin Owaisi when he was returning to Delhi after campaigning in Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut on Thursday.
The news: The incident took place at a toll plaza near Delhi, in Hapur in western Uttar Pradesh. The shooters are said have left their weapons and escaped from the spot.
- No one was injured but the car’s tyres were punctured.
- “I was leaving for Delhi after a poll event in Kithaur, Meerut (UP). 3-4 rounds of bullets were fired upon my vehicle by 2 people near Chhajarsi toll plaza; they were a total of 3-4 people. Tyres of my vehicle punctured, I left on another vehicle,”Asaduddin Owaisi told reporters
- “Police have informed me that weapons have been recovered and one shooter has been taken into custody.”
- One person has been apprehended and is being questioned.
- Weapons were recovered from him. His accomplice managed to flee, a search operation is underway.
- Police is checking the CCTV footage.
- I request the Election Commission to order an independent inquiry into this shooting incident. It is the responsibility of the UP government and Modi government to conduct an independent inquiry. I will also meet the Lok Sabha Speaker on this matter, Asaduddin Owaisi said.
- A picture tweeted by Owaisi showed two bullet holes on his white SUV. The third bullet allegedly hit a tyre.