Prime Minister Narendra Modi personally contacted Union Ministers Hardeep Puri, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Kiren Rijiju, and Gen V. K. Singh on Sunday evening to seek on-the-ground assistance to speed up the evacuation mission for Indians trapped in war-torn Ukraine under mission ‘Ganga’.
The news: Petroleum Minister and former diplomat Hardeep Singh Puri will coordinate evacuation efforts from Hungary.
- Civil Aviation Minister Scindia will expedite Indian evacuation from Romania and Moldova.
- Law Minister Kiren Rijiju will speed up trans-border movement from Slovenia.
- While Roads and Transport Minister and former Indian Army chief Gen V K Singh will push Operation Ganga from the Poland border, according to reports.
- Prime Minister Modi and External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar met with all concerned ministries this morning and were given orders to travel to the specified nations as soon as feasible.
- While the Prime Minister is scheduled to hold his third meeting on Indian evacuation this evening, it is likely that all concerned ministers and designated officials will have already departed or will board the first available flight to nations bordering Ukraine by that time.
In addition: According to available information, there is a significant traffic jam on Ukraine’s borders, with over 3,000 Indians waiting to pass into Poland either the Kyviv-Lupsk or Kyviv-Kovel axes. The situation at the border is severe as the Russians continue to press their onslaught against Ukraine from all sides. No able-bodied Ukrainian is allowed to cross the border to help the resistance effort.
- As the fighting approaches the interiors of Ukraine, border guards are muscling around for these reasons, and there is no special treatment for any foreigners, including Indians.
- To ensure that nothing untoward occurs to Indians awaiting evacuation, all responsible ministers would have to negotiate their movements with the cooperation of the local Indian mission.