Punjabi actor Deep Sidhu, who had hit headlines during the farmers’ agitation, died in a road accident on Tuesday when his vehicle rammed a stationary truck on the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP) Expressway in Haryana near Delhi.
The news: Sidhu’s body reached his hometown of Ludhiana in Punjab on Wednesday afternoon. Hundreds of fans and supporters assembled outside his residence to pay homage
What happened: Deep Sidhu was accompanied by an NRI friend, Reena Rai, who survived the accident.
- Reena said that They left Gurugram around 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday. they took the Kundli-Manesar-Palwal route from the Badli toll plaza. The accident occurred around 9:30 pm near Haryana’s Kharkhoda on the Western Peripheral Expressway when Deep Sidhu’s car rammed into a 22-tyre truck.
- Reena Rai said that she had dozed off and had woken up with a start when the accident occurred. She then called up a few friends to inform them of the accident. By then the Sonipat Police and ambulance had arrived at the spot.
- Deep Sidhu was declared brought dead. Reena Rai, was hospitalised after the accident and is reported to be stable.
- Police said that Reena was saved by the airbags that were deployed on impact at the time of the accident. However, the airbags on Deep’s side of the car exploded.
- Police said a bottle of liquor was found in the car.
A case has been registered against the owner and the driver [unidentified] of the truck involved in the accident. Police are looking for the driver.