Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim, who is serving a life term in jail in Haryana on Monday, was granted leave for 21 days.
The news: Gurmeet Ram Rahim is currently lodged in a Rohtak jail after his conviction in the cases of rape and murder.
- According to reports, he has been asked to stay at his farmhouse in Gurugram and won’t be allowed to visit Sirsa.
- In October, a special Central Bureau of Investigation court in Haryana’s Panchkula town had sentenced Singh and four others to life imprisonment for the murder of a former manager of the sect. He is also serving a 20-year term in Rohtak’s Sunaria jail for raping two of his followers.
- Haryana Jail Minister Ranjit Singh Chautala said inmates get the right to be granted furlough after completing three years of conviction, reported leading newspaper.
- Gurmeet Ram Rahim’s request application was examined by the requisite committee and his request was allowed.
- The release of the religious leader is being seen as a significant development ahead of Punjab Assembly polls, according to media reports.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, clarified that the furlough has nothing to do with elections.
Rape convict, Gurmeet Ram Rahim, Dera Sacha Sauda, Punjab election