Sanjay Raut, a Shiv Sena MP, claimed on Wednesday that Enforcement Department (ED) officials interrogated the florist and decorator for his daughter’s wedding at gunpoint.
The news: Raut stated he would soon reveal the ED’s identity and conduct a news conference outside the ED’s Mumbai office. Raut even claimed that he was under pressure to join forces to destabilize Maharashtra’s Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government.
- He told them (ED officials) how he could collect money because that child (Raut’s kid) has grown up in front of my eyes.
- He was, however, threatened with a gun. “What exactly is this? This is Mumbai, and the Shiv Sena is the city’s father,” Raut said.
- Purvashi Raut, Raut’s daughter, married in November of last year.
What’s going on: On Tuesday, Raut wrote to Vice President and Rajya Sabha Chairperson Venkaiah Naidu, saying, “Power by law enforcement agencies such as the ED and other agencies against Members of Parliament, their relatives, friends, acquaintances, etc.”
- There was misuse as well as abuse, according to Raut.
What are they saying: Raut claimed that Sena leaders and legislators had been “systematically targeted” by law enforcement organizations including the ED.
- ED officers, according to Raut, are going to great lengths to intimidate and harass Sena leaders.
- “We have a right to have our own ideology that may or may not align with that of the political party,” Raut wrote to Naidu. “However, that does not mean that our legislators, MPs, their family members, friends, and acquaintances are threatened and harassed under the guise of conducting investigations, or even arrested in cases of alleged money laundering. Decades-old transactions that have nothing to do with money laundering are being investigated with the goal of harassing and terrorising political opponents.”
- Raut told a press conference on Wednesday that some persons had come to see him with the purpose of ousting the Maharashtra administration in order to call mid-term elections in the state.
- Raut further claimed that he was intimidated because he refused to accept the offer of toppling the MVA government, and that he would be unable to speak freely in the Rajya Sabha as a result.
- Raut further exclaimed, “ED authorities picked up the florist and decorator at my daughter’s wedding. Is this what they’re supposed to be doing? When asked how much money he received, the decorator responded he didn’t accept any because he liked my family.”