The US, through their White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki announced a few financial sanctions against the rebel territories in eastern Ukraine. The US announced these sanctions on Monday and have even warned that more are on the way if necessary.
The news: According to the White House secretary, these funds are aimed at the newly recognized Russian rebel territories. President Joe Biden will be issuing an executive order prohibiting “new investment, trade, and financing”.
- “The order will provide authority to impose sanctions on any person determined to operate in those areas of Ukraine,” Psaki said.
- She went on to say that the measures are separate from broader Western sanctions that are ready to go “should Russia continue to invade Ukraine.”
What’s is going on: The sanctions will be a harbinger, to what is expected to be a quick and most dangerous East-West confrontation.
- President Biden has led a coalition of European and other US allies.
- This is a developing package which is expected to cripple the economic sanctions against Russia if troops massing on Ukraine’s borders launch an attack.
- On the other hand, Putin on Monday declared the recognition of the two rebel areas. This now increases the chances of an invasion.
What are they saying: Putin has already accused Ukraine of being a Western pawn and a threat to Russian security. He even believes that the Russian-controlled separatist enclaves require protection.